Python scripting as side job

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 09:09:18 EDT 2017

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 10:51 PM, gvim <gvimrc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone had any success using Python scripting to automate processes for
> small businesses as a side job? I'd like to use my Python skills to
> supplement my income with about 4 hours' work a week.

Python scripting for automation is definitely a useful skill, but it's
usually best done by someone inside the business. Part of the value of
Python compared to "old-school" languages like COBOL is that you don't
need to be a dedicated Computer Programmer™; instead, the work of
automating daily processes can be done by the exact people whose daily
processes are being automated. While it's still certainly possible to
do contract work like you suggest, it tends to be more efficient to
teach Python to the right people - maybe that would be a more
productive use of your time? Obviously that's a somewhat different
skill, but there's the whole "feed him for a lifetime" thing too.

ChrisA