"tkinter"

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Sep 14 03:01:30 EDT 2017

Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> writes:

> (1) Separate T K and INTER syllables.
>
> But the problem with that is that there's very little (but not none
> whatsoever) precedence for sounding out letters individually in
> English words.

It's not an English word. Yet we are still called upon to pronounce it.

> Hence that should really be spelled:
>
> Teekayinter
>
> which looks hideous.

There is plenty of precedent for pronouncing other initialisms. When
they don't make a nice word (i.e. when they are not an acronym), we
tend to spell them out for clear communication.

That's IMO support for “tee kay inter” pronunciation of “Tkinter”.

--
 \       “Remember: every member of your ‘target audience’ also owns a |
  `\   broadcasting station. These ‘targets’ can shoot back.” —Michael |