"tkinter"

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu Sep 14 02:25:27 EDT 2017

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 12:28:01 +0000, Stefan Ram wrote:

> I presume that "tkinter" is intended to be pronounced
>   "logically":
>
> T K inter (tee kay inter /ti keI In t%/)
>
>   . But it would be faster to pronounce it
>
> T kinter (tee kinter /ti kIn t%/)
>
>   . So far I've only ever read it, never heard it.
>   But while I am aware that the logical pronunciation should be the
>   correct one, I actually like the faster one.

I won't comment on "logically" except to say that little in English is
logical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghoti

But I agree with "t'kinter" as pronunciation. "tk" is not, so far as I am
aware, a valid sound in English, so we have three reasonable choices:

(1) Separate T K and INTER syllables.

But the problem with that is that there's very little (but not none
whatsoever) precedence for sounding out letters individually in English
words. Hence that should really be spelled:

Teekayinter

which looks hideous.

(2) Pretend there's an apostrophe or hyphen between the T and the KINTER:

t'kinter
t-kinter

That both reads and sounds like the most English-like solution. But maybe
I'm biased due to my name.[1]

(3) Pretend that the K is silent, as in KNIGHT.

t(k)inter

I suppose that's not unreasonable, but personally I don't like it.

[1] Ironically, I actually pronounce my name DA PRANO. So do my Italian
relatives.

--
Steven D'Aprano
“You are deluded if you think software engineers who can't write