class inheritance when not defined

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Fri Sep 8 11:22:24 EDT 2017

On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 07:03 pm, Ben Finney wrote:

>> Who is the father of ExampleClass1 ?
>
> No-one, since classes do not have gender. (The convention is to use the
> gender-neutral “parent” to refer to that relationship.)

Possibly not the case in Russia. Besides, words have gender in many languages.

While I have no problem with correcting people's English when it is relevant,
there's a good way and a bad way to do it.

Good way:

    Foreigner speaking English as their second language:
    "Who is the father of this class?"

    Native English speaker:
    "The father is 'object', but in English we would normally
    ask 'what is the parent?' instead."

Bad way:

    Foreigner:
    "Who is the father of this class?"

    Native:
    "No one, you ignorant heathen foreigner!"

Worse way:

    Foreigner:
    "Who is the father of this class?"

    Native:
    *PLONK*

I'll leave you to guess where I think your response fits in this scale :-)

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.