Heroku (was Re: Lies in education [was Re: The "loop and a half"])

Peter J. Holzer hjp-usenet3 at hjp.at
Sat Oct 14 05:41:08 EDT 2017

On 2017-10-13 21:42, Ben Bacarisse <ben.usenet at bsb.me.uk> wrote:
> That's one way to put it.  Another is that to use Python I need to buy a
> new service that is already configured.

That's exactly the same for PHP. You can't use that either unless
somebody configured to server to use it.

The difference is that lots of providers started configuring their
servers for use of PHP in the late 1990s, but didn't do that for Python.

> If that's the way it's done, fine, but this sub-thread started with
> someone being surprised by the success of PHP.

Which probably boils down to the question: Why did providers offer PHP
and not Python? One reason might be that at the time no suitable web
framework for Python existed (Zope was released in 1999, and I remember
it to be rather heavy-weight). One reason might be that providers didn't
see PHP as a "real" programming language and therefore deemed it safer.

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Fluch der elektronischen Textverarbeitung:
|_|_) |                    | Man feilt solange an seinen Text um, bis
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ | zusammenpaßt. -- Ralph Babel