The "loop and a half"

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Sun Oct 8 07:13:03 EDT 2017

bartc <bc at freeuk.com>:

> It seems to me that it's pretty much everyone here who has an
> overbearing sense of superiority in that everything that Unix or Linux
> does is a million times better than anything else.

People's opinions don't matter here. Point is, if you are writing
software for Linux, you need to do it according to (or at least
understanding) the general Linux system requirements.

I don't do Windows programming, but if I did, I'd try to write the
programs in the way Windows programs are intended to be written.

Similarly with other operating systems. If you wrote your own OS, you'd
get to dictate the proper philosophy for application programming.

> Even with things like building applications (eg. trying to build
> CPython from sources), they are designed from the ground up to be
> inextricably linked to Linux scripts, utilities, makefiles,
> installation schemes, or designed to work with the Linux-centric gcc C
> compiler. Then when they don't work as well anywhere else, it's
> because Linux is so much better! No, it's because they were
> non-portably designed around Linux and therefore designed NOT to work
> well anywhere else.

Ok. Clearly Python has its roots in Linux.

> It is also slightly frustrating for me when I see how Python is
> developing, with layer after layer and library after library piled on
> to achieve some fantastically complicated solution (one of 48
> different ones to choose from) to replicate some basic functionality
> that could have been done in 5 minutes if GvR had decided to add it
> right at the start.

Maybe. I don't know if that would count as constructive criticism,
though, because you can't change your past.

> But this is a Python group and I have to restrain myself from such
> comments to avoid getting lynched. There is nothing wrong with Python!

Once you have expressed your opinion and frustration, you don't have to
repeat it at every turn.

Do you have a concrete enhancement proposal? Or is Python a lost cause
for you?

Marko