The "loop and a half"

bartc bc at freeuk.com
Sun Oct 8 06:36:15 EDT 2017

On 08/10/2017 10:12, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 02:06 am, bartc wrote:

> Thousands of Python programmers on Windows successfully learned to use Ctrl-Z
> ENTER back in the days of Python 1.5, before quit/exit were added as a
> convenience for beginners, and many of them probably still use it.

Actually I NEVER normally use Python in interactive mode. Only to test
how it works interactively. When I use Python, it's from my IDE.

>> I'm getting fed up with this thread now.
>
> This thread would be a lot less frustrating if you would enter into it with a
> spirit of open-minded enquiry rather than an overbearing sense of superiority
> that anything others do that you don't must be worthless.

Frustrating for whom?

It seems to me that it's pretty much everyone here who has an
overbearing sense of superiority in that everything that Unix or Linux
does is a million times better than anything else.

Even with things like building applications (eg. trying to build CPython
from sources), they are designed from the ground up to be inextricably
linked to Linux scripts, utilities, makefiles, installation schemes, or
designed to work with the Linux-centric gcc C compiler. Then when they
don't work as well anywhere else, it's because Linux is so much better!
No, it's because they were non-portably designed around Linux and
therefore designed NOT to work well anywhere else.

It is also slightly frustrating for me when I see how Python is
developing, with layer after layer and library after library piled on to
achieve some fantastically complicated solution (one of 48 different
ones to choose from) to replicate some basic functionality that could
have been done in 5 minutes if GvR had decided to add it right at the start.

But this is a Python group and I have to restrain myself from such
comments to avoid getting lynched. There is nothing wrong with Python!

--
bartc