The "loop and a half"

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Fri Oct 6 15:55:50 EDT 2017

Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com>:

> I'm always amazed how long it takes people to accomplish simple tasks
> when they refuse to use anything other than eclipse and a web browser.

Now I can bring this back to Python. I have had a huge task of arranging
1000+ soccer games in a tournament. I could have used a web service for
the purpose, but chose to use Python instead -- to great success!

It's actually not about combining Unix tools but using programming to
express ad hoc relationships between data. I could set up the games and
have the program verify the diverse and individualistic boundary
conditions are obeyed. Whenever customers come up with impromptu
requests and change their minds, the Python program can accommodate the
sudden needs with ease.

The Web service owner was dismayed that I wasn't using their fancy web
service.

There was a time in computing when people fancied everybody should know
how to program and apply the skill to everyday tasks. I don't think many
people have such misconceptions anymore. However, it's a bit depressing
because I have had a tremendous advantage several times when I've been
able to solve my problems with programming. And Python's the obvious
choice for the job.

So today at 3:15 pm I was sent an Excel template I should use to deliver
the game schedule. By 3:40 pm I had modified my program to generate the
desired Excel format (with openpyxl) and sent the schedule to the
referee administrator as an attachment. I told him I could send him a
different format if he needed it, and advised him he should be prepared
for multiple iterations as new requests arrive from customers.

I wouldn't have managed the task with the mouse and the clunky web
service.

Marko