can't get python to run

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 15:16:05 EST 2017

On 12 November 2017 at 19:58, Mary Ann via Python-list
<python-list at python.org> wrote:

> trying to install and run Python 3.5.2 (64 bit) and keep getting error message:
>
> the program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reintalling the program to fix this problem.
>
> I am on Windows 7 Home Premium
>
> I have uninstalled and reinstalled 3.5.2 several times and tried repairing and still the error message keeps coming back and i can't run python 3.5.2
>
> I was able to run Python27 and it opened just fine.
>

> I am not a computer person and am just starting to learn python and the professor said to install 3.5.2.  I just have no idea what the issue is other than maybe an old computer????

This is something that comes up for people quite often. In a situation
like this, you can often find useful advice by searching Google. I put
the message "api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your
computer" into Google, and got a few hits immediately that would
probably have been helpful to you.

What you should do is to download and install the "Visual C++
redistributable for Visual Studio 2015", which you can get from
https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=48145

You may also find that if you run "Check for updates" on your PC, this
will be installed automatically - MS do distribute this update
automatically, and it may be that you simply haven't updated recently.
But the manual install will work just as well.

Hope this helps,
Paul

PS The reason Python 2.7 works, is that it uses an older version of
Visual C, which doesn't need the newer runtime installed.