Easiest way to access C module in Python

Bill BILL_NOSPAM at Noway.net
Mon Nov 6 19:57:50 EST 2017

John Pote wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have successfully used Python to perform unit and integration tests
> in the past and I'd like to do the same for some C modules I'm working
> with at work. There seem to be a number of ways of doing this but
> being busy at work and home I looking for the approach with the least
> learning curve.
>
> I don't want to add the C modules into the CPython build itself as
> I've never done this and at work it's a real pain getting admin rights
> to do this, and when you do it lasts just 24 hours. The C modules are
> likely to change frequently as bugs are found and features added.
>
> The other option I'm considering is to use sockets and write a C
> wrapper round the C modules I want to test. This has the advantage for
> me that I know about sockets from Python & C points of view and I get
> complete control of the C compile process. This may be important as
> the C modules come from an embedded project and I don't want to change
> them in any way.
>
> Are there any other approachs to this problem?
> I'll be using Python 3.5 (work) and 3.6 (home).
> Feedback appriciated.

Install Oracle's "Virtual Box" software on your computer.  It's free.
Then install a version of Linux on it (or something else, if you
prefer).  Whatever you do, if you don't like it, you can replace your
installation in a matter of minutes.