Easiest way to access C module in Python

John Pote johnpote at jptechnical.co.uk
Mon Nov 6 18:43:27 EST 2017

Hi all,
I have successfully used Python to perform unit and integration tests in
the past and I'd like to do the same for some C modules I'm working with
at work. There seem to be a number of ways of doing this but being busy
at work and home I looking for the approach with the least learning curve.

I don't want to add the C modules into the CPython build itself as I've
never done this and at work it's a real pain getting admin rights to do
this, and when you do it lasts just 24 hours. The C modules are likely
to change frequently as bugs are found and features added.

The other option I'm considering is to use sockets and write a C wrapper
round the C modules I want to test. This has the advantage for me that I
know about sockets from Python & C points of view and I get complete
control of the C compile process. This may be important as the C modules
come from an embedded project and I don't want to change them in any way.

Are there any other approachs to this problem?
I'll be using Python 3.5 (work) and 3.6 (home).
Feedback appriciated.