replacing `else` with `then` in `for` and `try`

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 06:58:45 EST 2017

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 10:34 PM, Jon Ribbens <jon+usenet at unequivocal.eu> wrote:
> On 2017-11-06, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>> Jon Ribbens <jon+usenet at unequivocal.eu> writes:

>>> Well, keep at it and I'm sure you'll work it out eventually.
>>
>> You don't want to provide me with a way of thinking about it that makes
>> it mean something non-contradictory? :-)
>
> It already does mean something non-contradictory. This is
> comp.lang.python (or python-list), not alt.english.remedial.
> If you start from the wrong premise, as Steve is doing, then
> even the most obvious of things can be rendered opaque and
> confusing.

If you start with the assumption that "intuitively obvious" doesn't
actually mean "intuitively obvious" but actually means something
completely different, then your statement definitely means something
non-contradictory. But if you start with the assumption that
"intuitively obvious" really does mean that the purpose and meaning of
for-else can be understood easily without external information, then
your statement contradicts itself.

This is comp.lang.python, not alt.english.remedial, so we expect you
to use English competently, or at least accept correction when you
misuse words.

> As I said, I've provided a solution to the problem, what more
> do you want? This feels very much like you're arguing for
> argument's sake, which is a game I'm not willing to play along
> with for much longer.

Except that you haven't. Your proposed solution is incorrect and false.

ChrisA