How to install Python package from source on Windows

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue May 30 18:03:21 EDT 2017

On 30 May 2017 at 21:27, Deborah Swanson <python at deborahswanson.net> wrote:
> I have already offered to do whatever you would like me to do on this
> system - after I'm up and running on Linux. I need a functioning PyCharm
> on this system until that happens.

OK. I'm not sure I care enough to remind you, but if you want to
follow up at that point, then that's great. Can you start by proving
your assertion that pip is trying to install Visual Studio?

> Please accept my word that the attempt to upgrade pip broke when it
> tried to install Visual Studio 2015, and I wouldn't even have known to
> say that's what happened if I hadn't seen it in the traceback. Quite
> possibly it wasn't supposed to do that, but I won't be able to reproduce
> that traceback until I no longer need Python3 running on this system.

I can't accept that - because there's no code that's run by "python -m
pip install -U pip" that would try to install Visual Studio. If
nothing else, how would it know where to download it from? If that's
not the command you used to upgrade pip, then can you remind me (if
you've already said) or say what command you *did* use? If you can't
tell me what that command was, then can you accept my word that
"python -m pip install -U pip" cannot have been the cause of an
attempt to install Visual Studio 2015?

> I'm not sure what it is that you think we disagree on.

Well, the above for a start. But also, that it's worth my while caring
about this. I take it quite personally that you keep insisting that
pip can or would attempt to install Visual Studio, without backing up
that assertion. As far as I can tell, you think that i shouldn't.

Anyway, this is getting nowhere, so I won't comment further.

Paul