How to install Python package from source on Windows

breamoreboy at gmail.com breamoreboy at gmail.com
Thu May 25 21:01:15 EDT 2017

On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 12:11:41 AM UTC+1, Deborah Swanson wrote:
> breamoreboy wrote, on Thursday, May 25, 2017 3:23 PM

> > to 9.0.1.
> > >
> > > It's a long thread. You just didn't find it.
> > >

> > You've never attempted to upgrade pip that I can see.  You
> > were invited to do so
> > https://www.mail-archive.com/python-list@python.org/msg426173.
> html but apparently didn't bother.
>
> Kindest regards.
>
> Mark Lawrence.
>
> I apologize. I wrote it up, with the traceback, but the group had moved
> on and I decided not to send it.
>
> Unfortunately I deleted that message and now I no longer have a pip to
> run
>
> python -m pip install --upgrade pip
>
> So I can't make another traceback. But the upgrade attempt did uninstall
> the old pip, which is why I don't have one now, and it died trying to
> install Visual Studio 2015.
>
> Deborah

As others have suggested either your setup is screwed, or you have a file that is masking one in the stdlib.  Certainly there is no way that you should be seeing any reference to Visual Studio.  Does Anaconda give you a repair option that you could try?  Failing that how about installing Python 3.4 from here https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-344/ in parallel with the Anaconda setup?  It least it would give you a chance to make progress.

Kindest regards.

Mark Lawrence.