How to install Python package from source on Windows

Deborah Swanson python at deborahswanson.net
Thu May 25 00:20:46 EDT 2017

eryk sun wrote, on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 6:32 PM

> On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 12:18 AM, Deborah Swanson
> <python at deborahswanson.net> wrote:
> >
> > When I tried to upgrade pip it failed because it could neither find
> > nor install Visual Studio 2015.
>
> Installing and upgrading pip does not require a C compiler.
>
> > So now I'm pipless. Read the thread if you want to know why I don't
> > have and can't (and won't) install Visual Studio 2015.
>
> VS 2015 is the wrong version for Python 3.4 anyway. You would
> need VS 2010. However, you don't need it in this case. You
> just need the latest pip.
>
> For packages that don't have wheels available on PyPI, you
> can often find an unofficial build on Christoph Gohlke's site
> [1]. He still builds and distributes wheels for Python 3.4,
> but I don't know for how much longer.
>
> [1]: http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs

Ok, I'm done with you guys who don't have a clue what happens to users
of operating sytems forced at gunpoint to die. Well, that's the attempt
anyway, but both me and my operating system are real hard to kill.

I'm dealing with it, so please, no more advice to use fancy toys that
don't work on XP. And hopefully no more XP bashing because it's my only
choice right now, and I'm not going to turn off my computer and twiddle
my thumbs all day, especially when there's tons of python to keep
learning and using every day, right here on Windows XP. I spent 6 hours
today on a very difficult project, and I'm not going to shut it all down
and quit because some people apparently think that's the only
alternative to upgrading to some other system, and I can neither afford
the time or money to do that right now. And I don't need to. I know XP
inside and out, having tested it at Microsoft for 2+ years, and used it
intensively for the last 15 years.

Actually, any more XP bashing and replying posts will be immediately
deleted on my computer without reply from me. (Not saying that you or
Paul did that, just warning anyone who wants to use this opportunity to
jump on the XP beatdown wagon. And I keep track and keep names, so I'll
know you if you ever reply to me again about anything.)

Deborah