How to install Python package from source on Windows

eryk sun eryksun at gmail.com
Wed May 24 21:31:44 EDT 2017

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 12:18 AM, Deborah Swanson
<python at deborahswanson.net> wrote:

> When I tried to upgrade pip it failed because it could neither
> find nor install Visual Studio 2015.

Installing and upgrading pip does not require a C compiler.

> So now I'm pipless. Read the thread if you want to know why I don't have
> and can't (and won't) install Visual Studio 2015.

VS 2015 is the wrong version for Python 3.4 anyway. You would need VS
2010. However, you don't need it in this case. You just need the
latest pip.

For packages that don't have wheels available on PyPI, you can often
find an unofficial build on Christoph Gohlke's site [1]. He still
builds and distributes wheels for Python 3.4, but I don't know for how
much longer.

[1]: http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs