Scala considering significant indentation like Python

justin walters walters.justin01 at gmail.com
Tue May 23 10:53:23 EDT 2017

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 7:10 AM, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com>
wrote:

> if
> is
> of
> >
> > Sigh.  Missing words, the wrong words!  Block, not blog.  agg.
> >
> >> It's built-in, no plug-in necessary.
> >>
> >> I still find white-space indentation easier to read, though.  Is that
> > block 20 lines down inside or outside the above
> >> if/for/while?  Just put your cursor on it and go straight down and
> > you'll find out.  Not so easy if the braces aren't
> >> lined up (at least for me).
> >
> > True enough.  Would still be nice to jump, though.  Sometimes things get
> > longer than a page (like a class definition).
>
> A nice folding mode works nicely for that sort of thing.  I normally
> use emacs, but it doesn't seem to have a folding mode built-in, and
> the add-on one's I've tried didn't seem to work in a very useful way.
> I like the folding in Scite, and sometimes I fire it up when I'm
> trying to figure out the logic/flow/looping in unfamiliar code.

I don't know how well it's received here, but I find that Pycharm is
fantastic for
doing stuff like this. It does have code folding, auto-complete, auto close
parens, etc.

My favorite feature, however, is the project structure view. It allows you
to view
your project as a tree of variables, classes, and functions instead of
filesystem
directories. It's pretty neat to be honest.

The downside, of course, is that Pycharm is a lot heavier than most
editors.