How to install Python package from source on Windows

eryk sun eryksun at gmail.com
Mon May 22 15:21:22 EDT 2017

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 5:40 PM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
> I think it was YOU that got me wasting time downloading that VS2015
> solution, all 10000MB of it [download size; unknown installation size],

Visual Studio installs a multi-architecture (x86, x64, arm, arm64)
build environment for native and managed C++. It's more than CPython
needs, but it's the preferred build environment on Windows.

VC++ installs about a gigabyte of static libs (.obj archive) and
import libs (dynamic linking) for C, C++, and other runtime libraries
and features (e.g COM support, partially trusted applications, and the
default delay loader), built for both debug and release, including PDB
symbol files. The SDK (in "Windows Kits") also has about a gigabyte of
libs (mostly import, but some static) built for multiple
architectures. The Windows 10 SDK also has static and import libs for
the Universal CRT. On top of this you have the various headers, CRT
source files, tools, documentation, and samples.

Here's an incomplete list of the VC++ libs (x64 sizes):

/MT[d]: static linking [debug]
/MD[d]: dynamic linking [debug]

Universal C Runtime (SDK)
libucrt.lib        57000 KB  /MT
libucrtd.lib       60000 KB  /MTd
ucrt.lib             285 KB  /MD
  api-ms-win-crt-*.dll
    ucrtbase.dll
ucrtd.lib            249 KB  /MDd
  ucrtbased.dll

VC Runtime
libvcruntime.lib     811 KB  /MT
libvcruntime.pdb     242 KB
libvcruntimed.lib    795 KB  /MTd
libvcruntimed.pdb    250 KB
vcruntime.lib         17 KB  /MD
  vcruntime140.dll
vcruntimed.lib        17 KB  /MDd
  vcruntime140d.dll

CRT Startup (static libs)
libcmt.lib          1850 KB  /MT
libcmt.pdb           299 KB
libcmtd.lib         1858 KB  /MTd
libcmtd.pdb          299 KB
msvcrt.lib          3352 KB  /MD
msvcrtd.lib         3385 KB  /MDd

CRT Mixed Native-Managed Startup (static libs)
msvcmrt.lib         1897 KB  /clr, /MD
  mscoree.dll
msvcmrtd.lib        1977 KB  /clr, /MDd
  mscoree.dll

CRT Pure Managed Startup (static libs)
msvcurt.lib        45462 KB  /clr:pure, /MD
msvcurtd.lib       48244 KB  /clr:pure, /MDd

C++ Runtime
libcpmt.lib        11297 KB  /MT
libcpmt.pdb         2191 KB
libcpmtd.lib       13411 KB  /MTd
libcpmtd.pdb        2265 KB
msvcprt.lib          784 KB  /MD
  msvcp140.dll
msvcprtd.lib         795 KB  /MDd
  msvcp140d.dll

VC WinRT Core Library (C++/CX)
vccorlib.lib        3302 KB  /ZW, /MD
  vccorlib140.dll
vccorlibd.lib       3375 KB  /ZW, /MDd
  vccorlib140d.dll

Concurrency Runtime
libconcrt.lib      12031 KB  /MT
libconcrt.pdb       1855 KB
libconcrtd.lib     13378 KB  /MTd
libconcrtd.pdb      1872 KB
concrt.lib           120 KB  /MD
  concrt140.dll
concrtd.lib          120 KB  /MDd
  concrt140d.dll

C/C++ OpenMP Runtime
vcomp.lib             28 KB /openmp, /MD | /MT
  vcomp140.dll
vcompd.lib            28 KB /openmp, /MDd | /MTd
  vcomp140d.dll

C++ AMP Runtime (Accelerated Massive Parallelism)
vcamp.lib             85 KB  /MT | /MD
  vcamp140.dll
vcampd.lib            85 KB  /MTd | /MDd
  vcamp140d.dll

COM Support
comsuppw.lib         591 KB  /Zc:wchar_t
comsuppwd.lib        610 KB  /Zc:wchar_t
comsupp.lib          592 KB  /Zc:wchar_t-
comsuppd.lib         610 KB  /Zc:wchar_t-

Partially-Trusted Managed Applications
ptrustm.lib          708 KB
ptrustmd.lib         723 KB
ptrustu.lib          530 KB