How to install Python package from source on Windows

bartc bc at freeuk.com
Sun May 21 13:40:29 EDT 2017

On 21/05/2017 17:51, breamoreboy at gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, May 20, 2017 at 10:56:17 PM UTC+1, bartc wrote:

> I am still also sticking with the belief that you know about as much
> about programming as the RUE knows about unicode.  What major projects
> have you worked on?  Actually what have you worked on?

I've been retired since the start of the millennium. Before that I
mostly created low-end CAD systems for PCs, largely for a non-English
market. Before that I mainly developed experimental hardware such as
board computers and video cards. For that, I also developed small
language tools to help out. And some years before, I recall being paid
money to program in Fortran for government research. After getting my CS
degree.

That's my brief resume`; what's yours?

   I recall from
> Chris Angelico that your online code has no test code,

The online code I linked to are demonstrations of my private one-man
projects. They are largely language projects and demos of how to produce
compact and briskly-executing code. They are also demos of how such
projects can be still be supplied as source yet tidily packaged to
exclude troublesome and irrelevant details. They are also just examples
that show Another Way of doings things.

That they have no formal tests doesn't matter. I'm not selling anything
or desperate for people to use them. But it shows what can be done and
what would be nice of other projects.

I don't think you can reject the concept of having a project being
presented in a compact and accessible form just because one particular
example of it doesn't meet your exacting standards.

I think it was YOU that got me wasting time downloading that VS2015
solution, all 10000MB of it [download size; unknown installation size],
when someone posts today that they pretty much managed the same job with
a 1.5MB solution [installation size]. It seems some things /can/ work on
a small scale after all.

> yet you claim it's the best thing since sliced bread because it's so fast, and so small.

It's not all about my stuff. Tiny C is also small and fast (and works).

> Whoopee do!!!  I'd love working testing your code, at least I'd know I was in a job for life.

/I/ certainly would be if I was obliged to use that entire raft of tools
you suggested!

(I have wondered more than once if these massive tools, and colossal
software in general, existed partly to provide extra employment to
programmers, as well as to maintain shares in companies producing
memory, storage, and processors. And training programs.

The world economy would probably grind to a halt if everyone adopted my
working practices!)

--
bartc