How to install Python package from source on Windows

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sun May 21 20:17:06 EDT 2017

I think what Bart is saying is that the Python developers should
provide an amalgamated source file that's pre-configured for
Windows, so that someone who wants to compile on Windows doesn't
have to deal with all the complexities of the general build
system.

While that might be possible, I don't see what how it would be
of much use. You're not going to want to edit such a "source" file,
so its only use would be to install as-is. But if that's all
you want, you might as well use a binary installer.

I suppose it would make it easier to experiment with using a
different compiler, but even then you're probably going to have
to make some changes to the source to get it to work, and
hand-editing generated source is neither recommended nor fun.

--
Greg