How to install Python package from source on Windows

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Thu May 18 10:32:13 EDT 2017

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 8:02 AM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:

> On 18/05/2017 12:37, Rhodri James wrote:
>>
>> but (a) you have no leg to stand on
>> criticising configure scripts with that file,
>
> You think so?
>
> After the first 50 lines, there are no #includes, no #defines, no #ifs or
#ifdefs, in fact I think there are no uses of macros at all. And no
#includes for anything other than a few standard C headers.

> Everything referenced is also within that one file.
>
> Utter bliss compared with my experience yesterday trying to get some
CPython modules compiled. #defines, #includes and #ifs left right and
centre. Code specific to MSC or GSC sprinkled like confetti (there's even
an #include <windows.h> in there, God knows what is for). And the actual
include files are all over the shop.

But you just said in your previous post that this isn't the source file.
It's an intermediate file. Why should anybody care how pretty your
intermediate files are? It's not like anybody is going to be editing them.
You might as well take the CPython source, run it through the preprocessor,
and then praise the result for not having *any* #defines or #includes.

The source file is what matters, and you haven't shown that from what I've
seen. Is it really just as clean as this, or does it in fact have
compromises along the lines of "this is for the 32-bit output, and this is
for the 64-bit output"?