How to install Python package from source on Windows

bartc bc at freeuk.com
Thu May 18 09:38:53 EDT 2017

On 18/05/2017 07:13, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Thu, 18 May 2017 02:12:58 +0100, bartc wrote:
>
>> A portable C application should run anywhere there is a C compiler.
>
> Ha, somebody believed the advertising hype that C is a portable, write-
> once-run-anywhere language.
>

>> Maybe somebody can try it:
>>
>> 	https://github.com/bartg/langs/blob/master/qlang/qcc64.c
>> 	https://github.com/bartg/langs/blob/master/qlang/pcc64.c
>

> Speaking of user-hostile experiences, why do you need separate source
> files for 32- and 64-bit builds? Why isn't it just a build option?
>
> I've never heard of people using separate source code for 32- and 64-bit
> releases. I can understand pre-built binaries coming in two flavours, but
> that's a pretty hostile experience to have different source files for 32-
> bit. How do you keep them in sync?

This is just a consequence of not using C language for the original
source. The compiler for that has targets of x64, C32 and C64. The
difference between the last two is that multiples of either 4 or 8 may
be hard-coded in the output, which have to match the C compiler used.

Originally it wasn't a problem, as the intermediate C files were
compiled immediately and with automatic options. But it comes an issue
when the two translation steps are disjointed, as when the C is used as
portable distribution medium, and the second compilation is done by
someone else.

But I don't believe these build quirks are a problem provided they are
explained.

(I'm surprised actually people aren't using 64-bit stuff more.)

> Anyway, if you point me at your 32-bit release, I'll try building it.

OK, same url but with '32' instead:

  	https://github.com/bartg/langs/blob/master/qlang/qcc32.c
  	https://github.com/bartg/langs/blob/master/qlang/pcc32.c

If you get to the point that that qcc32 program runs with a usage
message, then some instructions are at the end of those sources.

--
bartc