How to install Python package from source on Windows

Deborah Swanson python at deborahswanson.net
Wed May 17 02:31:04 EDT 2017

> Chris Angelico wrote, on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 9:50 PM
> > For the person who's using it, or for all the malware authors
> > who are gleefully using your computer as their own
> > playground? It certainly is a fine operating system for the latter.
> >
> > ChrisA
>
> Nobody's used my XP for a malware playground since about
> 2006. I used to have about a dozen traps and traces that put
> a stop to all that. Now I only have one, and it hasn't seen
> hide nor hair of a single trace or sign of malware in the 6
> or so years that I've had only that one sentry.
>
> Not my problem if people can't use their computers and browse
> the web sensibly. And I repeat, it's not something I should
> be continually beat around the head about.
>
> So please stop beating me up about it, you fools.
>
> Deborah

Can you imagine how much money and grief could have been saved with a
massive computer and internet use education blitz back in about 2005,
instead of the coddling and "saving from the malware monsters" that we
got instead? I figured out how to do it, surely others could. (I was way
too sick then to do any more than protect myself.)

People are barely little safer from malware today than they were in
2005. The evidence from that is the proliferation of identity theft,
fraudulent tax returns for refunds and the pervasive presence, power and
purloined wealth of the malware kings. And they don't just prey on
hapless XP users, follow the research yourself. Windows 7+ is
outstripping XP victims now, no doubt all the shaming to make XP users
upgrade has merely decimated their numbers and made the bandwagon
climbers-on vulnerable to all the Windows7+ tools the malware kings can
now employ (don't you guys read any of this stuff?). Windows 7+ is no
protection from malware, the malware kings are just stealthier and more
technically expert now. Just because your machine isn't behaving like a
malware-ridden XP did in the early 2000's doesn't mean that the malware
kings aren't getting you.

But the myth that modern Windows users are safe from malware is just
that, a myth. I have plenty of Microsoftie friends who tell me privately
that this is so. And if these new operating systems were designed from
the get go to be so safe from malware, why the need for the constant
stream of patches, and the thousands (or more) of zero-days they haven't
devised patches for yet, or they even know are out there to be patched?
Why are botnets still a flourishing enterprise, and now ransomware is on
the rise? Hint, the malware kings aren't raking in all their wealth and
power from XP machines alone.

It's a strange, strange world when people surrender their
responsibilities to the money makers who promise them safety and
security with no sweat required. And they get to let the NSA and other
government black actors spy on them for free in the bargain. It's a
strange, strange world.

Deborah