Ten awesome things you are missing out on if you're still using Python 2

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Wed May 10 02:33:04 EDT 2017

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 8:16:09 PM UTC+5:30, Serhiy Storchaka wrote:
> On 09.05.17 09:01, Rustom Mody wrote:
> > On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 12:48:03 PM UTC+5:30, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> >> http://www.asmeurer.com/python3-presentation/slides.html#1
> >
> > Nice list thanks!
> >
> > Do you have a similar list of
> > 10 awesome features of Python that you can't use because you refuse to upgrade
> > from Java/C++  ?
> >
> > [Context: Ive to take a couple of classes for senior such developers and
> > wondering what features would give them) the most value]
>
> 1. Tuples and unpacking.
>
> 2. Arbitrary precision integers.
>
> 3. tuple/list/dict/set displays and comprehensions.
>
> 4. Negative indices.
>
> 5. Slicing.
>
> 6. Generator expressions and functions.
>
> 7. Keyword arguments.
>
> 8. *args and **kwargs.
>
> 9. Closures.
>
> 10. repr()/str().
>
> 11. Tracebacks.
>
> 12. Introspection.
>
> 13. REPL.
>
> 14. help().
>
> 15. Chained comparisons.
>
> 16. Sequence concatenation and repetition.
>
> And I even not mentioned the standard library and the features added in
> the recent Python versions.

Thanks Serhiy and Chris
Useful list(s).
Of course some of these were on mine
Some I had forgotten or taken for granted (large integers by default)
And some are not exactly my favorite (chained comparisons)
Still others may appreciate...

I was also looking for more specific things
Particularly OOP
Yes *args helps where one would need overloading and multiple constructors in C++

A bit confused by factories which seem to be all the thing in java but not python

Decorators-for-DSLs... any good egs?