Python package to accept payments in Internet

Victor Porton porton at narod.ru
Wed May 3 11:58:50 EDT 2017

Chris Warrick wrote:

> On 3 May 2017 at 17:19, Victor Porton <porton at narod.ru> wrote:
>> What do you mean by "banned"? Does this mean that Google does not use
>> software of this license?
>
> https://opensource.google.com/docs/using/agpl-policy/
> https://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/31/google_on_open_source_licenses/

It is irrelevant for me that Google Code bans my license (by the way it
seems that Google banned it only in the past, not now). I anyway host it at
GitHub not at Google Code.

>> My package is a professional tool unlike other's hacks.
>
> You yourself called your code a hack:
>
>>> Also, this line looks unconvincing:
>>>
>>> # This is a quick hack. For serious work use
>>> https://github.com/paypal/PayPal-Python-SDK instead.

Here I use the word "hack" to mean "something that works but isn't a full
featured solution". This hack in my software applies to a very small
fragment of my code not to entire code.

That this small fragment is a hack does not influence the external behavior
of the software. Thus it does not matter for users of my software.

>> This quick hack does work for the purpose it was made. This class is
>> not feature-rich, but other features are not needed by other parts of
>> my software. So it's OK.
>
> No, it’s not okay. Quick hacks are never good when dealing with money.

I made this hack with only one purpose, to avoid dependency on
https://github.com/paypal/PayPal-Python-SDK.

Thus this "hack" eases installation of my software: the user needs to
install only one package rather than two. Also it makes my software to load
quicker. So this hack is a benefit for the user not a deficiency.

And nothing prevents the user to use PayPal-Python-SDK with or instead of
this my quick hack.

You carp with words, finding a problem where there is no real problem, just
words (I mean the word "hack") which sound like a problem.

--
Victor Porton - http://portonvictor.org