Python package to accept payments in Internet

Chris Warrick kwpolska at gmail.com
Wed May 3 11:02:28 EDT 2017

On 3 May 2017 at 16:45, Victor Porton <porton at narod.ru> wrote:
> Steve D'Aprano wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 3 May 2017 02:19 am, Victor Porton wrote:
>>
>>> I have created a full featured package to accept payments in Internet
>>> (currently supports PayPal).
>> [...]
>>> Buy the commercial version and support scientific research and a new
>>> principle of the Web I am working on.
>>
>> What licence is your package? Is it under an open source licence, or
>> commercial closed source, or is there a choice?
>
> It is licensed both AGPLv3+ (an open source license) and a commercial
> license.
>
> The AGPL license requires you to publish your Web application source code if
> my package is called from your software.
>
> Thus you may need the commercial license for your closed source Web
> application (that is for your site).
>
> See
>
> http://freesoft.portonvictor.org/django-debits.xml
>
> for more information.

The AGPL license is banned by Google, and perhaps many others. There
are other packages for handling payments, many with a saner license
and available for free, so you’ll be pretty unsuccessful.

Also, this line looks unconvincing:

# This is a quick hack. For serious work use
https://github.com/paypal/PayPal-Python-SDK instead.

source: https://github.com/vporton/django-debits/blob/fe8681042dbbf0353d1a29299280326a059452ca/debits/paypal/models.py#L9

Your website is ugly, uses default browser styles, and to me it feels
like you don’t pay attention to important stuff. That’s not someone
who I’d trust to do payments right.

PGP: 5EAAEA16