Installation issue with Python 3.6.1 for 64 bit Windows

Sibylle Koczian nulla.epistola at web.de
Sun Mar 26 12:03:13 EDT 2017

Am 26.03.2017 um 06:01 schrieb arjun.janah:

> Hello,
> I am using an HP PC, brought in 2009, which currently has on it Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1.

Did you do all Windows updates?

> System type is 64-bit operating system.
>
> I went to https://www.python.org/downloads/windows/ and chose the following: Download Windows x86-64 executable installerThe downloaded file appeared, in my Downloads folder, as:
>
> python-3.6.1-amd64.exe, with a filesize of 30,657 KB.
>
> I ran the file and it appeared to install properly. But when I tried to run Python from the Windows All Programs menu tab, I got the following message, in a small window by the window with a black screen:
> python.exe - System Error
> The program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.------------------------------------------
>
> I tried the following:
>
> (a) restarting Windows and trying again: same result;
>
> (a) running the installer file again and selecting repair:
> this stalled for a long time so I had to abort it;
>
> (b) restarting my computer, running the installer file again and selecting uninstall: this uninstalled Python, so it said;
>
> (c) running the installer file again and choosing install: this installed Python afresh. But then I had the same problem as at the start when I tried to run Python.

You need the dll mentioned in the error message, and you won't get it by
repeatedly installing Python (I don't know why the message tells you to
do that ...). You will have to get it from Microsoft instead. Googling
the name of the dll will probably lead you to it quickly, the problem
seems to be quite common.