Installation issue with Python 3.6.1 for 64 bit Windows

arjun.janah arjun.janah at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 00:01:36 EDT 2017

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
Hello,
I am using an HP PC, brought in 2009, which currently has on it Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1.

The processor is an AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-62 2.10 GHz.

Installed memory is 4.00 GB (3.75 GB usable)

System type is 64-bit operating system.

I went to https://www.python.org/downloads/windows/ and chose the following: Download Windows x86-64 executable installerThe downloaded file appeared, in my Downloads folder, as:

python-3.6.1-amd64.exe, with a filesize of 30,657 KB.

I ran the file and it appeared to install properly. But when I tried to run Python from the Windows All Programs menu tab, I got the following message, in a small window by the window with a black screen:
python.exe - System Error
The program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.------------------------------------------

I tried the following:

(a) restarting Windows and trying again: same result;

(a) running the installer file again and selecting repair:
this stalled for a long time so I had to abort it;

(b) restarting my computer, running the installer file again and selecting uninstall: this uninstalled Python, so it said;

(c) running the installer file again and choosing install: this installed Python afresh. But then I had the same problem as at the start when I tried to run Python.

Please advise.

Thanks

Arjun Janah < arjun.janah at gmail.com >