Who are the "spacists"?

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Mon Mar 20 10:20:12 EDT 2017

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 12:30 am, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:

> Unicode was 25 years late to the game

I don't understand that comment. Are you suggesting that the oldest
convention wins? The Unix 8-column convention is older than Unicode, so it
wins?

Well... in that case, there are tab conventions that pre-date Unix, e.g.
those used by COBOL. The tabs command offers them as pre-defined standards.
>From the man page:

       -c     1,8,12,16,20,55
              COBOL, normal format.

But wait... before there was COBOL, there were *typewriters*. Its been many
years since I've had my hands on a manual typewriter, but if I remember
correctly the standard default tab setting was 1 inch.

So there you go. Unix was 50+ years late to the game.

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.