Who are the "spacists"?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 09:49:49 EDT 2017

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 12:30 AM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
>> And in the Unicode specifications,
>
> Unicode was 25 years late to the game, but please point me to the
> paragraph anyway.

3.3, D3 Character semantics: The semantics of a character are
determined by its identity, normative properties, and behavior.

That's the best I can find for you. The best statement that says "hey
you idiot, a character's name indicates the intended semantics of that
character". If U+0009's name were "SHORTER ENCODED FORM FOR SEQUENCE
OF SPACES", then I might be prepared to believe you. But it isn't.
It's "CHARACTER TABULATION". Does the specification really need to say
"don't be a fool"?

ChrisA