SimpleHTTPServer and CgiHTTPServer in practice

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Wed Mar 15 20:49:18 EDT 2017

Sometimes I have a short term requirement to serve some data by http, so
I've been using those modules rather than setting up a full featured web
server.  Some Python users have told me that isn't a good idea, but
without any specifics.

Are there any known problems with them such as security bugs, or in the
py3 equivalents (server module)?  I haven't had issues so far because
it's just been ad hoc stuff for known clients, but they are much simpler
to set up than something like Apache, so I don't see why not to make
more use of them for low-traffic pages.  Any thoughts/stories/cautions
would be appreciated.

Thanks