Pythos message

dieter dieter at handshake.de
Sat Mar 11 02:53:13 EST 2017

jorge.conrado at cptec.inpe.br writes:

> I have a test script netcdf_example.py and I run it. I have my figures
> on screen. But I had thse two emssages:
>
>  /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/setuptools-18.3.1-py2.7.egg/pkg_resources/__init__.py:1256:
> UserWarning: /home/conrado/.python-eggs is writable by group/others
> and vulnerable to attack when used with
> get_resource_filename. Consider a more secure location (set with
> .set_extraction_path or the PYTHON_EGG_CACHE environment variable).

This warns you that part of your Python infrastructure
(the content of "/home/conrado/.python-eggs") could be changed
by other people (than you).

You might not be concerned at all (if you act in a safe, trustfull
environment). Otherwise, you have essentially two options:

 *  prevent write access for others than you to "/home/conrado/.python-eggs"
    (--> "chmod" command)

 *  move the part of your Python infrastructure to another
    location not writable by "other" and "group" -
    and tell your Python system where to find is (via
    "set_extraction_path" or envvar "PYTHON_EGG_CACHE").

>  /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/collections.py:590:
> FutureWarning: elementwise comparison failed; returning scalar
> instead, but in the future will perform elementwise comparison
>   if self._edgecolors == str('face'):

A "FutureWarning" warns about something that may give an error
in the future.

>From this specific message, I guess (!), that "_edgecolors"
consists in fact not of a single but of multiple components -
but is compared here to a single value. The warning means, that
the current behaviour (returning a scalar value) is likely to change
in the future (returning a composite value for the elementwise
comparison). Should this happen, the code will likely fail.

This warning comes from "matplotlib" - i.e. it is outside of
your immediate control. You can hope that a future version
of "matplotlib" will correctly handle the changed behaviour in the future --
and ignore the problem until then.