Python3.6 a little conundrum

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 14:33:58 EST 2017

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 6:01 AM, Gilmeh Serda
<gilmeh.serdah at nothing.here.invalid> wrote:
> After compiling and NOT installing (need to keep the 2.7 around,
> undisturbed).
>
> Just testing something out:
>
> $ python36
> Python 3.6.0 (default, Mar  1 2017, 22:11:43)
> [GCC 4.6.3] on linux
>
> Then, I'm used to pressing the up arrow to get the same row again, only I
> get this:

> Other than that, it seems to be working fine.

Sounds like you don't have readline. You're compiling on Linux, so
most likely you need to use your package manager to install the
readline development libraries. On my Debian, it's:

sudo apt-get install libreadline-dev

On Ubuntu and related, it's likely to be the same. On other distros,
check your package manager for something talking about "readline" and
"dev", and it's probably that.

ChrisA