matplotlib change?

breamoreboy at gmail.com breamoreboy at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 10:50:24 EDT 2017

On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 3:33:36 PM UTC+1, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
> I have some scripts running as cronjobs that capture the status
> of some long-term processes and then periodically plot the data.
> The box where they normally run went down yesterday for some
> unknown reason, so I ran them manually on another box so that
> others on the project could continue to watch progress.
>
> I was surprised to see that the lines on the plot no longer went
> all of the way to its border. Investigating showed me that this
> is box-dependent.
>
> Samples showing the difference:
>
> good
>   <http://www.math.wisc.edu/~mstemper2/Math/CharTabComp/Example12.png>
>
> bad
>   <http://www.math.wisc.edu/~mstemper2/Math/CharTabComp/Example13.png>
>
> The names of the differing plots are based on the fact that one
> was done on a box with python 2.7.12 and one with python 2.7.13.
> (Note that the 2.7.12 box is running Ubuntu, while the 2.7.13 box
> is running straight Debian.)
>
> Is it likely that the difference in plots due to something that
> changed in matplotlib between 2.7.12 and 2.7.13? If so, is there
> some argument that I could specify in one of the functions to
> prevent this padding/margin/waste? Is there a separate function
> to call?
>
> If the difference isn't due to a change in matplotlib, would it be
> something OS-dependent? How can I track it down?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Appendix: Functions currently called
>
> import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
> plt.figure()
> plt.plot()
> plt.gca().xaxis.set_major_formatter()
> plt.gca().xaxis.set_major_locator()
> plt.legend()
> plt.ylabel()
> plt.savefig()
>
> --
> Michael F. Stemper
> I feel more like I do now than I did when I came in.

Id check to see which matplotlib versions you have rather than the Python version.  Either:-

C:\python
Python 3.6.2rc1 (heads/3.6:268e1fb, Jun 17 2017, 19:01:44) [MSC v.1900 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
>>> import matplotlib
>>> matplotlib.__version__
'2.0.0'

or:-

C:\python -c "import matplotlib;print(matplotlib.__version__)"
2.0.0

Kindest regards.

Mark Lawrence.