YAML in std lib?

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 10:33:45 EDT 2017

In addition to the reasons given by Steve, Paul, and others, the
barrier to entry to the standard library has grown as the domains to
which Python is applied have increased. To justify the maintenance
effort, when considering a module or package for inclusion in the
standard library, you want it to be as broadly useful as possible. Is
YAML widely enough used in domains as varied as web application
development, bioinformatics, and machine learning to justify its
inclusion in the standard library? Maybe not. In addition, I suspect
more and more people are using virtual environments of one sort or
another. When constructing such environments it's pretty trivial to
tailor them to contain just those modules and packages appropriate to
a particular task. I use Conda environments almost exclusively these
days. It frees me from the glacial pace of updates to the default
Python installation at work (stuck on 2.7.2).

Skip