YAML in std lib?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Jul 30 22:20:14 EDT 2017

Steve D'Aprano <steve+python at pearwood.info> writes:

> On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 01:27 am, Goldstein wrote:
>
> > I'm new in this mailing list and, in fact, I've registered for one
> > simple question. Why YAML is not yet included in the standard Python
> > library? It's the most pythonic markup language, I think, and it's
> > pretty popular.
>
> There are many reasons why a particular library may not be included in the
> standard library:

Those are all reasons worth considering. Most of them, though, are
reasons why a proposal to include something in the Python standard
library might be *rejected* after being proposed for discussion.

Including something in the standard library needs to be discussed in the
context of a specific proposal. There is a procedure for that: the
Python Enhancement Proposal <URL:https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0001/>.

So, an important reason to consider: Perhaps no-one has developed and
championed a specific Python Enhancement Proposal for including that in
the standard library.

I don't know of any PEP yet which specifies exactly what to add to the
standard library for YAML (and how to ensure it continues to be
maintained in the standard library). There may have been vague requests
for “can we have PyYAML in the standard library?”, but those are void in
this context, because that's not what actually gets the discussion
looking at specifics.

My advice to the original poster: Have a search for past proposals and
see what discussion ensued. If there was no such proposal, try writing
one and championing it.

--
 \     “You say I took the name in vain / I don't even know the name / |
  `\    But if I did, well, really, what's it to you?” —Leonard Cohen, |