YAML in std lib?

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Sun Jul 30 02:20:42 EDT 2017

On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 01:27 am, Goldstein wrote:

> Hello.
> I'm new in this mailing list and, in fact, I've registered for one simple
> question. Why YAML is not yet included in the standard Python library?
> It's the most pythonic markup language, I think, and it's pretty popular.

There are many reasons why a particular library may not be included in the
standard library:

1.  Perhaps nobody has thought of it.

2.  The author of the library refused to allow it, or demanded
    conditions which the Python developers either cannot or will
    not meet.

3.  The library is under rapid development with a release cycle
    faster than Python's standard library.

4.  There may be technical reasons (e.g. code quality, external
    dependencies) why it isn't added.

5.  There may be no consensus among the core developers that this
    library is important enough to include.

6.  Or no agreement about which library to use (if there are
    more than one).

7.  The library is for too small a niche to bother.

8.  There may be problems with the legal status of the library,
    including legality of the software, copyright, patents, etc.

9.  Or it may be only available under a proprietary, closed-source
    licence that is incompatible with Python's open source licence.

10. There may be nobody willing to maintain the library once it
    is accepted.

I'm not sure which ones apply to YAML. If I were to guess, my guess would be
either 5 or 6.

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.