Recent Spam problem

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 09:19:27 EDT 2017

Yes, it's more "leaky," though that's not quite the term I'd use. Instead,
I'd say there are fewer checks. On the mailing list side of things, you
have all the Postfix bells and whistles, which stop a ton of crap, much of
it before the message is officially entered into the mail.python.org
system. Behind that is a SpamBayes instance to pick up any loose ends.

The Usenet gateway feeds into the system behind everything except the
SpamBayes instance. It gets only sporadic attention from me. If I'm not
paying attention, stuff which starts to "leak" through doesn't get trained
as spam so it can help minimize the chances that later versions of the same
crap get through.

One thing which never got produced was an easy way for a list moderator to
say, "Hey, this got through and it's spam." Sorting through "unsure"
messages and retraining automatically using some Mailman/SpamBayes conduit
would be a nice addition to the overall system. If you wanted to write
software, that's where I'd focus my efforts.

Skip