Recent Spam problem

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Jul 27 02:52:33 EDT 2017

breamoreboy at gmail.com wrote:
> Hence why I asked a couple of weeks back why we don't just bin the existing
> group and start afresh with a new, properly moderated group.

Someone would need to volunteer to be the moderator.

Also, moderation is something of a consenting-adults
thing on usenet. It's not hard for a sufficently
knowledgeable person to bypass the moderation.

(I'm told there's a security-related usenet group that
takes advantage of this. It's a moderated group with
no moderator; if you know enough to fake the approval,
you're considered entitled to post. :-)

--
Greg