Basic python understanding

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Jul 27 02:31:06 EDT 2017

I'd like to add that what you should really be looking for is
not a Python programmer as such, but simply a good, competent
programmer.

Any decent programmer will be able to quickly pick up what
they need to know about Python on the job. If they can't,
then they're not good enough, and you shouldn't hire them.

The same goes for any of the other technology buzzwords on
your list.

Jeremiah Dodds wrote:
> it's worth
> mentioning that it can be very hard to gauge experience past the basics
> if you don't have it yourself.

More than that, I'd say it's impossible. So I second the
recommendation to involve one of your existing experienced
programmers in the interviewing. It will be difficult even
for them to judge the candidate's competence, but at least
they'll have a chance.

--
Greg