Grapheme clusters, a.k.a.real characters

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 20:02:11 EDT 2017

On Wednesday, July 19, 2017 at 5:29:23 AM UTC-5, Rhodri James wrote:
> when Acorn were developing their version of extended ASCII
> in the late 80s, they asked three different University
> lecturers in Welsh what extra characters they needed, and
> got three different answers.

And who would have guessed that the wishes of three random
Welshian University lectures would become a microcosm into
the future problems afflicting internationalization and
localization of computer software.

And perhaps one day there will be fantastical fables written
about the "Three Wise Welshian Lecturers", who traveled
across endless expanses of earth and sea, following at times
strange lights in the sky, and bearing gifts of "me, myself,
and i" upon the new king of encodings.