Grapheme clusters, a.k.a.real characters

Rhodri James rhodri at kynesim.co.uk
Wed Jul 19 06:29:05 EDT 2017

On 19/07/17 09:17, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 16:37:37 +0100, Rhodri James wrote:
>
>> (For the record, one of my grandmothers would have been baffled by this
>> conversation, and the other one would have had definite opinions on
>> whether accents were distinct characters or not, followed by a
>> digression into whether "ŵ" and "ŷ" should be suppressed vigorously :-)
>

> Can I ask what nationality your grandmother was, given that she had an
> opinion on the suppression of ŵ and ŷ.
>
> And was she for it or against it?

She was a Welsh schoolteacher who went to Australia with her husband.
As to what her opinion on ŵ and ŷ was, I'm afraid I don't know.  It does
seem to be one of those things that divides Welsh-speakers; when Acorn
were developing their version of extended ASCII in the late 80s, they
asked three different University lecturers in Welsh what extra
characters they needed, and got three different answers.

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd