Privy: An easy, fast lib to password-protect your data

ofekmeister at gmail.com ofekmeister at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 02:53:35 EDT 2017

> The person spamming right now would be you. You just posted a link,
> without any explanations, any marketing blurbs, nothing.

I've explained everything as succinctly as I can in the readme. Pasting bits of it here would not benefit anyone.

> Why would I use your tool instead of something established, that has
> been properly audited — say, PGP for example?

Did you read the page? PGP and Privy are used for different things. A key manager could, though, use Privy to store private keys.

Privy is a thin wrapper around Cryptography's (OpenSSL) Fernet interface https://github.com/pyca/cryptography/blob/master/src/cryptography/fernet.py and https://github.com/hynek/argon2_cffi which is simply a binding to https://github.com/p-h-c/phc-winner-argon2

Privy itself is really just 40 SLOC https://github.com/ofek/privy/blob/a3d4bdb24464ad85606c1ab5e78c58ae489b0569/privy/core.py#L42-L82

This is encryption, but specifically by means of a password. This paradigm is often tricky to get correct. https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/88984/encrypting-with-passwords-encryption-of-key-vs-data

Encrypted keys would likely be stored in a DB somehow. Check out https://github.com/fugue/credstash