Is shutil.get_terminal_size useless?

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Sun Jan 29 12:22:49 EST 2017

Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:

> On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 3:44 AM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
>> Mount? As a regular user?
>
> Let me see, how much effort are you prepared to go to in order to do
> this as a "regular user"... because at some point, "sudo" becomes only
> one of many options, including "install another Unix system somewhere
> that you are root of". But if you genuinely have to mount as a
> non-root user, there's fusermount, which is often capable of loading
> up an ISO.
>
> But honestly, "ssh you at somebox" can be run by anyone, so there's
> always a way around the whole not-having-root thing.

At the moment, we have found it easiest to create our base OS snapshots
with some manual steps. Ideally, we could get rid of the manual steps
and just have a python script take the place of the human user. That
would be trivial if the distros continued the grand tradition of
offering serial consoles out of the box.

As it stands, all methods of working serial-interface support in the ISO
image would still be more trouble than the manual steps.

We also use "Packer" to build virtual machines automatically. That works
albeit in a somewhat kludgy manner. As far as I understand, Packer
delivers keystrokes to the boot command over VNC but can't interpret the
graphical responses but simply trusts that the commands do the right
thing with a proper timing.

Marko