Is shutil.get_terminal_size useless?

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Sun Jan 29 04:23:49 EST 2017

Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com>:

> On 2017-01-28, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
>
>> (Although if I were to design an operating system, I don't know if I
>> would bother with controlling terminals, job control or chirping
>> modems.)
>
> I've been using serial ports on Unix for 35 years, and maintaining
> serial drivers for Linux for almost 20. Many days, it seems like the
> tty/serial API in Unix is the rug under which all the ugly dirt got
> swept...
>
> [...]
>
> It's really pretty impressive how orthogonal they did manage to make
> things.

I *have* been longing for a serial console in linux distros. That would
make it possible to set up virtual machines from ISO images
automatically as virtualization environments can emulate a serial
interface with an SSH connection. As it stands, such automation requires
ugly, brittle VNC tricks.

Marko