Clickable hyperlinks

Deborah Swanson python at deborahswanson.net
Mon Jan 9 20:02:57 EST 2017

Larry Martell wrote, on January 09, 2017 4:11 PM

> On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 5:33 PM, Deborah Swanson
> <python at deborahswanson.net> wrote:
> > Ok, here is the crux of this thread's communication problem. I
didn't
> > ask, or particularly care for all these lectures on the technology
of
> > terminal emulators. I asked how to code Python to make clickable
links.

> > Since all of you are quite obviously passionate about terminal
> > emulators, I would suggest that you start your own thread. Except
that
> > it would have nothing to do with Python, and would be OT for this
> > list. What you're doing instead is thread jacking, hijacking a
thread
> > to talk about a different topic. And in every list I've ever been
on,
> > thread jacking is considered to be very rude. And it's also
confusing
> > if the two topics are similar, which is exactly what happened here.
>
> Once you start a thread and put it out in the ether, it takes
> on a life of its own, and cannot be controlled by anyone.
> That is true more on this list then any other of the 100's
> I've been on. And it's why I love it here.

Fair enough. I only suggested that they could have started their own
thread, but mainly just to point out that they would have been off-topic
if they did. I didn't demand that they do so, I just wanted them to
think about it.

I also prefer a loosely controlled list, and a freewheeling list is
ideal, but it only works well if people exercise basic politeness and
common sense.