Clickable hyperlinks

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu Jan 5 00:30:42 EST 2017

On Thursday 05 January 2017 14:22, Rustom Mody wrote:

> This thread does lead to the question:
> Is the Url type in python less first-class than it could be?
>
> In scheme I could point to something like this
> https://docs.racket-lang.org/net/url.html

Those docs say:

"To access the text of a document from the web, first obtain its URL
AS A STRING..." [emphasis added]

which means that URLs are not a first-class data type in Racket at all. URLs in
Racket are just strings, exactly the same as in Python.

There is a url struct:

https://docs.racket-lang.org/net/url.html#%28def._%28%28lib._net%2Furl-
structs..rkt%29._url%29%29

but there no first-class syntactic support for them, as ints and lists have in
Python:

123  # rather than int("123")
[1, 2]  # rather than list(1, 2)

> Is there something equivalent in python?

Just like Racket, URLs in Python are not first-class. They start as a string,
and then you parse them into a tuple:

https://docs.python.org/3/library/urllib.parse.html

https://docs.python.org/2/library/urlparse.html

--