Python application launcher (for Python code)

Wanderer wanderer at dialup4less.com
Sat Feb 25 17:06:37 EST 2017

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 1:03:40 PM UTC-5, Deborah Swanson wrote:
> Dennis Lee Bieber wrote, on February 25, 2017 4:50 AM
> >
> > On Fri, 24 Feb 2017 22:26:15 -0800, "Deborah Swanson"
> > <python at deborahswanson.net> declaimed the following:
> >

> > >Well rats. Skull duggery on the net is a lot more sophisticated than
> > >when I saw it last (15 years ago). Getting up to speed with it is on
> my
> > >list, but quite aways down.  Best strategy is to only plan on using
> it
> > >a few times and then uninstall. Maybe restore that install from a
> drive
> > >backup if I need it again, then overwrite with an up to date backup.
> > >
> > 	Probably won't help... There's likely some cryptic
> > registry entry encoding the date of last "phone home" (and
> > maybe number of times started since that date too). If it's
> > by date, you'd have to fake the date on the computer (I
> > wouldn't be surprised if the first thing it does is ensure
> > NTP sync is on, and run a time-server sync). If, in
> > association, there is a use counter, you'd have to restore an
> > earlier value of the registry.
> >
> > 	And I'm quite certain M$ uninstall won't remove the
> > registry entries of usage, just so a reinstall (or restore
> > from backup) can't bypass the system.
> >
> > --
> > 	Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN
> >     wlfraed at ix.netcom.com    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
>
> Didn't think of that one either, but it's easy to export the involved
> keys right after installing and restore them before each use.
>
> I like the idea of pulling the wire (cutting internet access) when I use
> it. Then nobody (including the app) is getting in or out to look at or
> do anything while the app is running. I won't use it much or often.

If you want to turn internet access on and off more easily in Windows 7, go to Control Panel\ Network and Sharing Center and in the left hand menu click on Change Adapter Settings. Create a shortcut to Local Area Connect and put it on your desktop. Local Area Connect has the internet enable and disable button. I also use Networx to keep track of who is phoning home.