Python application launcher (for Python code)

Deborah Swanson python at deborahswanson.net
Sat Feb 25 13:03:45 EST 2017

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote, on February 25, 2017 4:50 AM

> On Fri, 24 Feb 2017 22:26:15 -0800, "Deborah Swanson"
> <python at deborahswanson.net> declaimed the following:
>

> >Well rats. Skull duggery on the net is a lot more sophisticated than
> >when I saw it last (15 years ago). Getting up to speed with it is on
my
> >list, but quite aways down.  Best strategy is to only plan on using
it
> >a few times and then uninstall. Maybe restore that install from a
drive
> >backup if I need it again, then overwrite with an up to date backup.
> >
> 	Probably won't help... There's likely some cryptic
> registry entry encoding the date of last "phone home" (and
> maybe number of times started since that date too). If it's
> by date, you'd have to fake the date on the computer (I
> wouldn't be surprised if the first thing it does is ensure
> NTP sync is on, and run a time-server sync). If, in
> association, there is a use counter, you'd have to restore an
> earlier value of the registry.
>
> 	And I'm quite certain M$ uninstall won't remove the
> registry entries of usage, just so a reinstall (or restore
> from backup) can't bypass the system.
>
> --
> 	Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN
>     wlfraed at ix.netcom.com    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

Didn't think of that one either, but it's easy to export the involved
keys right after installing and restore them before each use.

I like the idea of pulling the wire (cutting internet access) when I use
it. Then nobody (including the app) is getting in or out to look at or
do anything while the app is running. I won't use it much or often.