Python application launcher (for Python code)

Deborah Swanson python at deborahswanson.net
Tue Feb 21 15:33:01 EST 2017

I wrote, on February 21, 2017 12:12 PM

> Grant Edwards wrote, on February 21, 2017 11:21 AM
> > NB: I haven't used any of these lately...
> >
>   http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
>   http://www.mingw.org/      (look for msys)
>   https://gist.github.com/evanwill/0207876c3243bbb6863e65ec5dc3f058
> (git's bash-terminal)
>   https://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/
>
> There were a couple another very highly recommended commercial Unix
> shell+utilities products (MKS Toolkit, Interix) that I used to
> use. But AFAIK, they all got bought and killed by Microsoft.
>

> Thanks Grant for these suggestions. Microsoft may have killed
> them at the time, but useful software can resurface a number
> of ways.  I'll keep your list and go looking for them
> someday. I think something like Drawers or MyLauncher that
> Jim mentioned would fit the bill for my immediate use, but
> old Unix utilities sound kinda neat in themselves, and well
> worth looking into in my free time. (haha, free time you say?
> But seriously I'd like to check them out.)
>
> Deborah

Whoops, I just noticed on rereading that only MKS Toolkit and Interix
were bought and killed by Microsoft, not your entire list. Guess they
can't buy open source code anyway.

While this is sad for MKS Toolkit and Interix, it does mean the others
are probably still available as open source.

I used to work in a partially Unix house in mechanical engineering at
Ingersoll-Rand. I did DOS and the brand new ever Windows (1.0?) at the
time, but I remember looking at MKS Toolkit on the Unix machines to see
if it could be adapted to Windows. Very sad if it is lost for good.